Tuesday, July 6, 2021

A Mentor of Meaning

It’s a magical moment whenever you meet an extraordinary person you didn’t even imagine you could connect with, but that would later be very instrumental in your success.

The moment was like that when I met Prof. Leo Abaya at the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) assembly of senior graduate students at UP. I already knew his popular name and huge reputation in the Filipino art community, fine arts academe, and cinema, but someone like me didn’t even think would make an impression for him to take on my MFA project.



A scene from my MFA thesis, ANIMA: A Picturebook in Space


It’s so sad to lose an influential mentor, but he’d most probably likes us to move on happily creating and defending art as if the world really cares.

This article, through a recollection of his students and friends’ stories, pretty sums up everything that best describes Prof. Leo Abaya. There’s another dedicated page here.
 


One of my inspirations for the thesis work above: Prof. Leo Abaya's "Di kailangang madaling maupos ang kandilang maliwanag ang apoy (The candle with the bright flame need not burn out quickly)" (photo credit: jessicarulestheuniverse.com)


There’s nothing more I can contribute except to share my own Leo Abaya experience through these recorded lectures that have tremendously helped me accomplish my MFA.




I was on the verge of giving up, moving on, and thought finishing my MFA degree–a very challenging program in my time, ability, and situation–was impossible.

Prof. Leo Abaya helped me made that possible.



No comments: