Monday, January 13, 2020

How to paint on Kraft notebook











I really love the texture of Kraft paper or corrugated cardboard. We see Kraft paper or cardboard everywhere and use it on everything. Kraft paper and cardboard is so ordinary and yet it gives a feeling that it’s a very useful and versatile material.





In this video, I found a kraft notebook in a thrift store and just wanted to paint over with a fantasy or magical scene. I love this notebook, it looks like the Kraft notebook that Muji have. Although the ones that Muji sells are so expensive! The design of this Kraft notebook is so simple yet so elegant, even the paper inside is yummy. The inside paper is cream and so smooth, so delicious.






Sharing the Light art inspiration video using acrylic, acrylic gouache, watercolor, pen, pencil on Kraft paper notebook


Going back to this art inspiration video, I start off with a random acrylic gouache buildup below just to create some textures. I use my signature blue palette. I also add some figurative blobs as well to add some elements that I will place more details later, after I figure out what to create with the form.



Sharing the Light scarf karf


I continue to add forms with acrylic using other color palettes and figure out later what will it be. I guess I want to paint a magical scene for this. Maybe a fantastical character hiding in the forest doing some magic? A unicorn sharing some power to this fantasy character, or a person who needs some “power” or light?








I decided to create a fantasy scene. So I transformed the two watercolor blob elements into human-like or anthropomorphic trees and added eyes. No, they’re not evil and occult! They’re on side view, haha! Besides they have a heart highlight! These trees are the guardians of the forest, the eyes symbolize the spirit that they embody.




Sharing the Light curtains, covers, and more


Of course, I love drawing and painting birds, so I’ve added a blue bird as well. I painted the blue bird on unusual scale just to give it a magical vibe visually. I usually use the works of John James Audubon’s illustrations of American birds as reference. I admire Audubon’s paintings of birds so much because it is so detailed and he created the illustrations from life, meaning he was there with the birds while he’s drawing or painting! What an extraordinary way of living as an artist and illustrator!







So, I finished the painting by dabbing some reflective paint on some elements such as the wand of light and the horn of the unicorn. I really love anything shiny or glittery, reflective things, it just makes any surrounding bright and energizing using only the play of light. Shiny things have personal meaning to me too.



Get some Light then Share it! 


That’s it!  I hope you enjoy watching! If you like my video, please subscribe and leave a comment. If you have topics or characters that you want me to draw, leave me a comment as well!

Love the Sharing the Light art inspiration video? You'll also love these designs too!



Sharing the Light tee that makes you go weee!



How about some hugs on Sharing the Light floor pillow?






No comments: